Food and general nerdiness.



The Corral - An Easter Eve Tradition


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...




The Corral is the site of what is one my family's favorite traditions. Since 1962, (before Judy and I were born) my family has gone to the Corral for dinner on Easter Eve. Naturally, one would ask, "Why?" To which I would reply, "I dunno." The Corral is a drive-in restaurant on South Arlington in the style and vintage of it's two better known Akron competitors Swenson's and Skyway. The Corral is older than one of them but I can't remember which one. When we were very young we'd eat in the car. I didn't even discover they had seven cramped booths inside until the early eighties. Now, we always eat inside. I love it.

Every year, I get the same thing. Onion rings...

...and a Nightmare.

A Nightmare is a burger with luncheon ham, onion, lettuce, tomato, mustard, ketchup, and relish. Fantastic. Normally, the lettuce is leaf lettuce but this year they used iceberg instead. I like the leaf lettuce better.

That's a "small order" of rings on the left and a large on the right.


These are my favorite onion rings. If you've had Hamburger Station's onion rings you know the type but the Corral's batter has a finer texture and is a little sweeter.


Judy always gets the coney. My mom surprised me this year by getting the coney instead of the Nightmare. I admit, it threw me off a bit. I'm not used to people trying anything new when going to the Corral. I tried the coney one time around 1978. I remember that it was good - I really liked it - but it's no Nightmare. My soon-to-be-brother-in-law Bob notched his 2nd Easter Eve visit and ordered the Nightmare. (I think he wants me to like him.) I don't know what Alex, Nick and Ashley ordered at the other table. It's probably better that I don't know. It was probably cheese sticks and milkshakes or something equally healthful.


0 Responses to “The Corral - An Easter Eve Tradition”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Jim
  • From Akron, Ohio, United States
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3