Food and general nerdiness.



Spicy Pork and Morels


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



This Spicy Fried Minced Pork recipe is Steve's. Steve gives me more grief about keeping a blog than everyone else combined. He loves to point out what a big nerd I am. I think he's protesting a little too much. He enjoys my nerdiness because he (erroneously) thinks he's Charles Atlas by comparison. Any time his wife, Tanya calls him a nerd he says, "Jim is nerdier." Most of the time she buys it and counts herself lucky. I can imagine her thinking, 'At least my big dork of a husband isn't as nerdy as Jim. Whew.' I generously let Steve continue his delusion.

Wait. Who am I kidding? I AM nerdier than Steve - but not by much.

When Steve ranted about this recipe I suggested he blog it. But he wasn't falling for that. He did type it up and email it to me. This was absolutely delicious - certainly as good as Steve said. However, it was strange for me to cook this. I really had no idea what the final product would be. I realized when I pick a recipe I have an idea of what it will be. Naturally, this guides me when I make it because I imagine how each ingredient will affect the final product. On this one, I had no idea. So, I followed the recipe as close as possible and trusted that it would turn out. It did. Excellent.

For the pork, I ground up a couple pork chops I had in the freezer. Grinding it myself gave it a nice coarse texture. The only thing that I did that varied from Steve's recipe was I probably used twice the fish sauce and I couldn't find Kaffir leaves so I used the juice from half a lime.

When I was picking up ingredients at Krieger's in Cuyahoga Falls I saw they had morels. At West Point Market in Akron, I've seen morels for $189 a pound! Today, at Krieger's they had them for $19.95 a pound. I picked out five or six nice ones and when I went through the checkout they rung up at ninety-five cents. "Wait, I'm going to get more." I ran and grabbed a big double handful - $1.85. Holy crap, I need to get more. So, I bought a pound. I counted them - 148 morels. Woohoo!



I cut them in half to get out any bugs and soaked them in salt water for a few minutes. Now they're in the dehydrator. Tomorrow, after they're dry, I'll vacuum pack them and freeze them. I'll be cooking with morels for a year. Yo.


0 Responses to “Spicy Pork and Morels”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Jim
  • From Akron, Ohio, United States
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3