Food and general nerdiness.



Butter!


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Yes, butter. Alex is in D.C. with his eighth grade class so I told Nick I'd make whatever he wants for breakfast. He chose buttermilk biscuits. So, this morning, I got up, made coffee and started getting ready to make biscuits. I only had ONE tablespoon of butter - well short of the seven I'd need.

I had just read about making butter from cream and I had a pint of cream in the fridge so I thought I'd try it. It sounded simple enough. Whisk the cream for fifteen minutes or so until it turns to butter, drain off the buttermilk, and eat your fresh, delicious homemade butter. Excellent!

The cream whipped right up and was looking tasty. But, after fifteen minutes I still just had whipped cream. I ran to the internet and found some other people who'd done this. "...get fresh, unpastuerized cream from a local farmer." "Make sure cream is at room temperature." Oops. But, there was nothing to do but let it keep going.


After about 30 minutes it happened! Here, the buttermilk is draining out though the cheesecloth.


This worked so well that I was giggling like an idiot. I pulled the carton out of the trash for its photo op. The one pint of cream made 6 ounces of butter (about a stick and a half) and 1 cup of buttermilk.


It's important to get all the buttermilk out of the butter because it will turn sour and ruin the butter. I think I got it all out.


Three ounces cut up and ready for the biscuits.


Biscuits!


0 Responses to “Butter!”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Jim
  • From Akron, Ohio, United States
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3