Food and general nerdiness.



Garbage Plate Day!


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



This past weekend, my baseball team played in Rochester, New York. My good friend Scot, is an alumnus of Rochester Institute of Technology and he has always ranted about this place called Nick Tahou's and their signature dish - the garbage plate. He and I made our own garbage plates back in May and they were delicious. But something wasn't quite authentic. You can read about our attempt (and a little more back-story) here. Saturday night, a few teammates and I visited the birthplace of the garbage plate so I could try to analyze what I did wrong so I could give Scot a more authentic taste of his college days.

This is Nick's. Um, how do I put this? Nick's is not in the nicest of neighborhoods. It is definitely better visiting Nick's when the sun is shining. Apparently, the management agrees. They close at 8:00 p.m.


This was the staff. They were very friendly and very busy. We were going to the Rochester Red Wings game and there were dozens in there getting a G.P. to take to the game. We’re eating in. I doubt that the interior of the restaurant looks much different than it did fifteen years ago when Scot was there. It was pretty sparsely decorated but it was certainly clean enough.


The manager could tell we were tourists and told us what to get: “Five cheeseburger plates with everything.” But, of course! That’s what we were there for. When she set these on the counter Drew was giggling like a little girl.


I’m just getting ready to dig in.


Here’s a closer shot. On the bottom is hash browns and macaroni salad. Two cheeseburger patties are next. Yellow mustard is spread on the cheeseburgers and raw onions are spooned on the mustard. On top of everything is Nick’s Special Sauce. It is served with bread and butter.


We really had to wolf these things down. We were being introduced on the field before the Red Wings game and I had promised Mark, our team captain, that I would get the five of us there on time. I was the only one who finished my meal. Both, Jason and Bob got close but Matt and Drew are a couple of bantams.
(l-r) Matt, Drew, Jason, Bob (sitting) and Me


The manager was really a good sport and very friendly. Do I look noticeably heavier in this picture? I feel like it.


We made it to the game on time and were on the field. Mark and Rich look like they could have used a garbage plate.


Heather (pictured with husband Shane) and Mark threw out first pitches before the game.


Okay, I know this isn’t about food but this is too cool not to share. This kid got TWO foul balls in the first inning of the game. He was just a section away from us. Drew almost got the first ball. He seemed like a good kid. Check out his mom. She was laughing uncontrollably.


Check out how far their seats are from home plate. I love it.


This isn’t about food either, but again, it’s too good not to share. The Red Wings won the game 10-6 and we went back to our campground. Across the street from the campground was a small race track and it was loud – really loud. No one in the campground was going to sleep until the racing was over. Several of us went over to peek through the fence but we got separated and I sneaked though an unwatched gate. I got up to the top of the stands and struck up a conversation with several of the exceedingly friendly and excessively fervent people there. They were incredulous that I had never been to a race like this. When I asked them what they called this type of racing they looked at me like I was an alien. The finally told me after they all had a good laugh – sprint cars. It was very exciting and the people were hilarious.


Oh, I almost forgot – we won our two baseball games – 30-10 and 14-0. It was a good day.


1 Responses to “Garbage Plate Day!”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    The sharing of this over-the-top story of true Americana is disturbing, both from a gastrointestinal perspective, as well as from a societal decay standpoint.

    I weep for the rustic campground outhouses, which surely bore the brunt of 'Garbage Plate Day.'

    I weep, too, for the fact that no man among them proved worthy to out hustle and/or muscle the smallish boy for at least one of the two foul balls. This nation was founded upon the ideals of rugged individualism. Yet, this band of merry merauders failed to instruct a fatherless, fledgling-lad in the most basic of American lessons, i.e. he who amasses a multitude of notariety and wealth ultimately loses himself to the fleeting nature of both.

    I shall pray for you all!
    "Oh Lord, though you have forsaken these otherwise good men in so many ways, look not upon their cullinary tresspasses, but look instead to their unwillingness to give of themselves to instruct the youngest and weakest of your children, and punish them accordingly. Amen."

    God Bless America (and no place else!)

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Jim
  • From Akron, Ohio, United States
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3