Food and general nerdiness.



Bibimbap with Bulgogi & Shrimp and Green Onion Pancakes


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I've been wanting to cook some Bulgogi - Korean barbecued beef. I decided to make bibimbap - a Korean dish that has various vegetables and meat over rice. I used a bulgogi recipe for the meat and bought a jar of kimchee to serve as a side dish. When I was looking for my recipe, I found a recipe for Shrimp and Green Onion Pancakes - a Korean dish I had just had for the first time in San Francisco about a month ago.

Today, while at my parents' house, my mom asked what I was making for dinner. I told her, while my dad was sitting quietly - grimacing and making gagging gestures. So, to tease my dad, I invited them for dinner. My mom said, "Great, what time?" My dad said, "He was only kidding." I said, "No, I'm not. I'd love to have you over." He knew he was hooked.

It turned out really well. There are dozens of different vegetables you can use. I used carrots, white radishes, spinach, mung sprouts, and cucumber. I spooned a layer of hot white rice over the small piles of the freshly grated vegetables, put the bulgogi on top of the rice, a sunny-side-up egg on the beef and toasted sesame seeds on the egg. The idea is to stir the hot rice into the vegetables, meat, and egg and eat it with some hot sauce. I know it's a little shocking to see the egg like that but it's delicious.

The pancakes were delicious too. Next time, I'll chop the shrimp and stir it and the onions into the batter instead of laying them on the batter after it's poured on the griddle.

Here is a picture of the bibimbap I had in San Francisco in April. Just to the left of the main bowl is some shrimp and green onion pancakes.

My dishes compared really well. In fact, I think my bibimbap was even better because the bulgogi was delicious. My pancakes weren't quite as tasty.

Oh, by the way. My dad really liked it.


0 Responses to “Bibimbap with Bulgogi & Shrimp and Green Onion Pancakes”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Jim
  • From Akron, Ohio, United States
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3