Food and general nerdiness.



Finally, The Homemade Garbage Plate


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Okay, the day finally came. Time to make the Garbage Plate that Scot is pining for. I've written quite a bit about the garbage plate.

But to recap:
Macaroni salad
Hash browns
Two cheeseburger patties with white American cheese
Yellow mustard
Chopped raw onions
Garbage Plate Sauce (recipe below)

The ground beef for the sauce has to be triple ground. This is the second grinding.


Onions, jalapenos, and garlic


The spices


Browning the beef after sweating the veggies


Spooning the onions on the patties


The Nick Tahou's original garbage plate

Our homemade version

Really, if anything, we were guilty of too much sauce. But the sauce is the best part. Scot's only criticism was "the hash browns were too small and the onions were too large. But other than that, it's perfect."

You'll notice in the following pictures there are two chairs empty. I'm taking the pictures and Chris declined the garbage plate. Here is the full (unedited) text of his emailed RSVP.

James:

I'm in but out for the garbage plate. I just can't do it (said with unmanly shame).

Chris


So for Chris, I made a nice quiche and a white wine spritzer. He showed up with an empty Wendy's bag. Coward.


We're just starting to dig in. Butch and Scot are laughing at Stephan because he was a little too generous with the Dave's Insanity Sauce. Greg, Scot and I went the more traditional - and sensible route - Frank's Original Hot Sauce.


Scot raised his hands in triumph - he actually finished his. Butch looks like he's in pain. We found out later how much pain he was in.


Scot and I are very satisfied with the authenticity of this recipe. This is the one I'll continue to use - if I ever make this again. The quantities below are suffiencient for 2-3 garbage plates. Today, I tripled this recipe to make the five plates. I had leftovers.

Ingredients
2 T olive oil
1 med white onion
2 cloves garlic
3 fresh jalapenos
1lb triple ground beef
.75 Quart water
1 T chili powder
1 t white pepper
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t ground cloves
1/2 t cayenne
1/2 t dry mustard
1/2 t garlic powder
salt to taste

Instructions
Finely chop onion, garlic, and jalapenos. Saute in oil. Add meat and cook until brown. Drain most of the grease. Add the water and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the spices. Simmer medium-low until liquid is reduced by half 45-60 minutes.


2 Responses to “Finally, The Homemade Garbage Plate”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    I still canĀ“t see proberly on my right eye after I had this "insanity"-sauce in your house this evening! But I loved the garbage plate!

  2. Anonymous Anonymous 

    And now, dear readers, the rest of the story....

    A man with "cullinary knowledge" has informed this reporter of the truth behind the growing cult of the "Garbage Plate."

    Born out of the ancient Inca celebration known as the "Umbato" (pronounced "Umbato"), Mr. Lee has perverted the "Garbage Plate" as a cult recruiting tool for unwitting dopes, such as this man, whom we will call simply "Butch Rohrich", to protect his real identity.

    Butch, a former desciple of the Mahrisi "FJ," was a hard sailin', hard snowmobile drivin', hard drinkin' mope in seach of life's true meaning. He, like so many others, turned to Lee and the "Garbage Plate" to quench the ulcer in his soul. "I thought I could find the answers that had so long eluded me in the sauce. But in the end, the siren within the sauce spit me up against the culinary rocks like bean curd. The fullness I felt that night was, in reality, only my hunger inverted introvertedly. I just feel dirty."

    The Ohio Department of Natural Resources has opened an investigation into Lee's bio-hazard. A spokesperson for the ODNR said, "The Department has received numerous complaints, and we are actively investigating the mind-altering toxicity of Lee's sauce. Our advice, eat at Wendy's - a good, wholesome Ohio company."

    More details as they develop....

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Jim
  • From Akron, Ohio, United States
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3